Many Dartmouth students are interested in medical careers. Typically, about 1100 students – a quarter of the student body – follow the Nathan Smith Premedical Society email list. About 180 to 200 students per year apply to Medical, Dental, or Vet programs. Learn more about the Nathan Smith Society.
Dartmouth has fantastic resources for pre-med students. Chief among them:
- Dartmouth Medical School (DMS). The medical school is on campus and many professors have dual tenure with DMS and Dartmouth College. Undergrads can collaborate on research projects with med school faculty and students.
- Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC). One of New England’s best hospitals is located just one mile from campus, providing incredible research and internship opportunities for undergrads.
Support for students interested in health professions abounds! Our Health Professions Program assists students applying to Medical, Dental, and Vet schools. Open office hours are available 4 days per week to assist students with course planning, internships, and applications.
Unique advantages to Dartmouth’s pre-med program:
- The advising system lasts 4+ years – we continue to work with students through graduation and beyond.
- Because of Dartmouth’s small size, the advising and letter-writing processes are very personal. Most universities have a pre-health committee that writes letters of recommendation. At Dartmouth, students select who writes the summary letter on their behalf (a faculty member, dean, etc.) This creates a much more personal letter than what typically comes from a committee.
- Dartmouth has very strong extracurricular programs that allow students to test their interests before they make a commitment to pursue this as a career.
- We have about 300 Dartmouth alumni in medical school, who have specifically agreed to assist students interested in pursuing medical school. (For example, they often host Dartmouth students visiting for interviews.) Students can also draw on the overall strength of our alumni network.
- We offer excellent support in the medical school admissions process, and the Dartmouth Medical School Admissions Office also offers guidance.
- Nationally, the medical school acceptance is about 45%, and Dartmouth’s is far higher (approaching twice) that average.
- 11 of 85 students in this year’s Dartmouth Medical School incoming class are Dartmouth College graduates.
- 80 Medical School Faculty members offer shadowing opportunities in a wide range of medical specialties. We also have community vet and dental shadowing programs.
- The Health Professions Program maintains a research opportunities directory, and students engage in a wide variety of medical research projects.
- Women In Science Project (WISP) connects students in their first or second year with paid part-time research internships with science faculty members (or researchers in nearby industrial or government laboratories).